a. One must complete a degree in law from an eligible institution.

b. Complete the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL) in one of the recognized universities in Hong Kong.

c. All overseas applicants must also complete the PCLL conversion program.

d. A foreign lawyer who the required level of post-admission experience in law can take the Barristers Qualification Examination to qualify as a lawyer.

e. Apply to the Law society for registration at an international law firm

f. Convert to a Hong Kong law firm