License to Operate an Event Management Company
Setting up an event management company in Hong Kong involves only one major step, the company incorporation. There are no business license requirements for operation. However, event managers may be required to apply for certain activity-specific licenses or permits. This will depend on the category of events you specialize in. Events can be classified into the following:
- Meetings, conventions and conferences
- Exhibitions, indoor events and concerts
- Outdoor events, sporting and community
The following are types of permits for events a management company and requirements:
- Certificate of Advertising Materials issued by the Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority to display any advertising materials or film
- Certificate of Approval issued by the Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority to conduct public screening of a film.
- Amusements with Prizes License issued by the Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority to enable the organization of games with prizes.
- Lottery License issued by the Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority for one to organize or conduct a fund-raising lottery ticket sales for charities and non-profit making organizations.
- Food Factory license which is issued by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department to operate a food stall or kiosk during an event.
A temporary Food factory license is issued to those intending to sell pre-cooked food at an event.
The applicant must submit an application form along with a copy of the proposed layout plan of the premises. If it is a corporation which is applying, the following documents must be submitted: a copy of Articles of Association of the Company, copy of Business Registration Certificate, certified true copy of Notice of Situation of the registered Office, certified true copy of the company’s most recent annual return, a written resolution passed by the Board of Directors to authorize a person to act on behalf of the company to deal with licensing matters with FEHD; and a notice of Acceptance of the Authorization signed by the authorized representative.
License to Run an Employment Organization
It is also referred to as recruitment, staffing, placement or manpower agency. In order to provide recruitment and placement services to other employers, one is required to obtain a license to run an employment organization for the department of labor. These organizations deales with workers from areas such as construction, domestic/office cleaners, foreign domestic employers, office workers &foreign staffing companies. Any company or person who undertakes a job placement business requires the employment agency license.
The license validity is one year from the issued date and is renewable before the expiry date.
An employment agency may be granted a Certificate of Exemption from the Commissioner for Labor under section 52 of Employment Ordinance; when that happens, you are exempted from the license application.
Pre-requisites for Employment Organization License
The operator is responsible for the day-to-day management and operation of the agency.
Placement of overseas domestic workers.
The staff of an employment agency involved in the placement of overseas domestic workers must comply with the regulations concerning the employment of domestic helpers from abroad.
License to Operate a Travelling – Related Organization
Organizations that offer travelling or tour services need a ‘Travel Agent’s License’ from the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau. Below are activities you can engage in when in possession of the travel permit:
- Organizing a group tour or package tour
- Selling or arranging tickets for transportation
- Accommodation in hotels or resorts
Pre-requisites for licensing:
- A complete Travel Agent’s License application form
- A statement of your particulars form
- Hong Kong Identify cards or travel documents
- TIC Membership Certificate
- Travel Association Membership Certificate.