Types of Work Visas in Hong Kong:
- Quality Migrant Admission Scheme
It is a long-term visa option for professionals to enter Hong Kong if they fall under certain professions such as legal, financial, and innovative fields.
- Technology Talent Admission Scheme
This long-term work visa is for those in technological sectors like financial technology and Artificial Intelligence.
If you are looking to acquire some knowledge or skill for one year, this is the visa to apply for.
- Investment Visa/Self-Employed Visa
You may be considered for an investment visa if you meet the following:
You are not considered a security threat nor have a criminal record.
You possess a first-degree qualification or its equivalent in terms of technical qualification, skills, and professional experience.
Your employermust prove that there was no qualified local for the position.
You have the potential for economic contribution to HKSAR (Hong Kong Special Administrative Region) and a potential to thrive businesswise in terms of sound business turn-over, investment total, job creation, and technological innovation; or if your work is a startup business that is backed by the government of Hong Kong.
- Employment visa
This applies if you are coming as an employee of a Hong Kong company. You may also work if you have a Permanent Visa or Temporary Visa.
This long-term visa is for non-local students who want to study in Hong Kong universities as full time, research postgraduate, summer program, or exchange program student. You can submit your application via the Global Affairs Office website. Chinese from Mainland China and Taiwan do not need a visa, they need an entry permit. The following documents are required for the Student Visa:
- A passport-size photo to be attached to the downloaded and duly filled application form (ID 995A).
- Proof of admission at the university which serves as a local sponsor in the category of an educational institution. A local sponsor can also be an individual.
- A testimonial document of your financial standing.
- A copy of your passport page that states your information.
- A consent letter from the parent or guardian authorizing you to be under a designated guardian in HKSAR, if you are under 18 years of age.
- Proof of financial support throughout your university studies. If the sponsor is your institution of learning, you are to attach a salary slip in addition to the financial supporting documents such as bank statements and tax receipts.
- There is a non-refundable fee is paid. This caters to administrative work and transportation. It is around HK $ 230 which can be paid in cash by cheque or debit/credit card.
As a finalstep for Student Visa application, you will need to present your passport that has the visa label, the Immigration Officer will stamp on it. You will also receive an approval letter and a letter of no-objection. Processing your entry permit or Visa takes around six weeks to eight weeks.
If you are an international student of HKSAR, and you graduated in Hong Kong as an undergraduate or higher educational qualification, you may apply for a stay or return Work Visa under Immigration Arrangement for Non-Local Graduates (IANG). If you apply for such a visa within the first six months from graduation date, you are considered as a non-local fresh graduate and you do not have to possess an employment offer upon application. You may qualify for 12 months stay if you meet immigration requirements.
Renewal: Apply for renewal of your Student Visa at least four weeks before your visa’s expiry date. Otherwise, you are expected to leave Hong Kong within the last four weeks of study.