Long Term Visas Types in Hong Kong

6 min read|Last Updated: September 27, 2021|
What’s in this article
Book a consultation for your business expansion today.

Long Term Visa Types

Work Visa

The process of long-term visa application for work is typically hassle-free if you do it right. However, you must prove that your qualification is unique from that of a local who could have done the same job. You may be considered for a work visa if you meet the following:

  • You are not considered a security threat nor have a criminal record.
  • You are qualified academically
  • Availability of a genuine work offer in Hong Kong
  • A valid employment offers according to your academic qualification.

Within 30 days (about 4 weeks) of your stay in Hong Kong, you are advised to apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card that will enable you to navigate the biometric gates of airports and libraries. You are allowed to change jobs in Hong Kong, but that will require a fresh work visa application process under your new employer. Your former employer must inform the immigration department of your termination of a contract.

PHP Hong Kong Forums

Types of Work Visas in Hong Kong:

  1. Quality Migrant Admission Scheme
    It is a long-term visa option for professionals to enter Hong Kong if they fall under certain professions such as legal, financial, and innovative fields.
  2. Technology Talent Admission Scheme
    This long-term work visa is for those in technological sectors like financial technology and Artificial Intelligence.
  3. Training
    If you are looking to acquire some knowledge or skill for one year, this is the visa to apply for.
  4. Investment Visa/Self-Employed Visa
    You may be considered for an investment visa if you meet the following:
    You are not considered a security threat nor have a criminal record.
    You possess a first-degree qualification or its equivalent in terms of technical qualification, skills, and professional experience.
    Your employermust prove that there was no qualified local for the position.
    You have the potential for economic contribution to HKSAR (Hong Kong Special Administrative Region) and a potential to thrive businesswise in terms of sound business turn-over, investment total, job creation, and technological innovation; or if your work is a startup business that is backed by the government of Hong Kong.
  5. Employment visa
    This applies if you are coming as an employee of a Hong Kong company. You may also work if you have a Permanent Visa or Temporary Visa.

Student Visa

This long-term visa is for non-local students who want to study in Hong Kong universities as full time, research postgraduate, summer program, or exchange program student. You can submit your application via the Global Affairs Office website. Chinese from Mainland China and Taiwan do not need a visa, they need an entry permit. The following documents are required for the Student Visa:

  • A passport-size photo to be attached to the downloaded and duly filled application form (ID 995A).
  • Proof of admission at the university which serves as a local sponsor in the category of an educational institution. A local sponsor can also be an individual.
  • A testimonial document of your financial standing.
  • A copy of your passport page that states your information.
  • A consent letter from the parent or guardian authorizing you to be under a designated guardian in HKSAR, if you are under 18 years of age.
  • Proof of financial support throughout your university studies. If the sponsor is your institution of learning, you are to attach a salary slip in addition to the financial supporting documents such as bank statements and tax receipts.
  • There is a non-refundable fee is paid. This caters to administrative work and transportation. It is around HK $ 230 which can be paid in cash by cheque or debit/credit card.

As a finalstep for Student Visa application, you will need to present your passport that has the visa label, the Immigration Officer will stamp on it. You will also receive an approval letter and a letter of no-objection. Processing your entry permit or Visa takes around six weeks to eight weeks.

If you are an international student of HKSAR, and you graduated in Hong Kong as an undergraduate or higher educational qualification, you may apply for a stay or return Work Visa under Immigration Arrangement for Non-Local Graduates (IANG). If you apply for such a visa within the first six months from graduation date, you are considered as a non-local fresh graduate and you do not have to possess an employment offer upon application. You may qualify for 12 months stay if you meet immigration requirements.

Renewal: Apply for renewal of your Student Visa at least four weeks before your visa’s expiry date. Otherwise, you are expected to leave Hong Kong within the last four weeks of study.

Want to Start business in Singapore
Want to Start business in Singapore

Family Reunification Visa

As part of the Visa package, you can bring your spouse and any unmarried dependent children.


  • Proof of the relationship to your spouse or dependent children.
  • No criminal record or security threat.
  • Financial proof to support yourself and your family.
  • A duly filled application form (ID997).
  • Photocopy of passports.
  • Recent photos for each of you.
  • Photocopy of Identity card from Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Macao if available
  • Proof of your housing situation in the form of rental receipts.

Residence Visa

Residence Visa is one of the long-term visa types that Hong Kong offers. It comes in two forms: Temporary and Permanent Residence. You can stay in Hong Kong for two years under a Temporary Visa. This can be applied for by those coming as business people.

If you want to stay for more than three months, you must get issued with your own Hong Kong Identity card within 30 days (about 4 weeks) of your arrival. This card gives you access to public libraries and can clear you at Hong Kong borders,

If you plan to stay for exceptionally long or permanently you need to apply for the Identity card for permanent residence. This can only be applied while you are already in Hong Kong. This is usually after renewing your temporary visa to accumulate seven years of continuous Hong Kong stay and tax payment.

Journalist Accreditation and Visa Procedures

The following are the long-term visa types for a journalist:

  • J-2, for doing temporary journalistic work in Mainland China.
  • G Visa for traveling in China.
  • F Visa for purposes of short trips to Mainland China.


  • Your employer’s letter detailing the topic, venue, timing, and interviewee.
  • A letter from the institution you wish to visit stating your venue, timing, and correspondents’ information.


The Long-Term Visa application process tends to go faster even though visa requirements are strict. You can bring your spouse and dependent children with you to Hong Kong. Other long-term visas are for Religious Order, and Research visa.

Long Term Visas Types in Hong Kong FAQs

Is Hong Kong connected to China by land?2020-12-21T02:55:59+00:00

Yes, Hong Kong is connected to China by land through undersea tunnels and bridge.

Can I consider a Long-Term visa if I plan to bring my same-sex dependent?2021-06-10T13:23:02+00:00

Yes. HKSAR or the Peoples Republic of China allows you to bring your dependence on a recognized same-sex civil union or an opposite-sex civil union if the union is lawfully recognized by the authorities of the place where it was celebrated. Where civil union refers to a legal partnership akin to that in marriage.

Which office deals with Hong Kong long term visa issues?2020-12-21T02:55:05+00:00

The department that deals with Hong Kong Long-Term Visa related issues is the Immigration Department or the Chinese Diplomatic and Consular Mission. You may be in touch with them through the post or a local sponsor. Taiwanese Chinese do so through the sanctioned airlines.

If I am going to Mainland China through Hong Kong, do I need a Long-Term Visa to stay in Hong Kong?2020-12-21T02:46:19+00:00

No. You can utilize the authorized maximum three-month period.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

More Business Insights

Undecided or got questions

Got other questions?

Drop us a message on WhatsApp or connect with us through our contact form.

Join the discussions

Go to Top